Pages

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Go away, wicked witch!


6 X 8 Acrylic on Canvas Board

Wrote and posted this story at 9:00 pm, about 18 hours after the original post of the piece...

This painting was inspired by the movie "The Wizard of Oz." But after I got about halfway through the painting process in this piece, I had an intense feeling that this picture relates to my current life.

My mom is very ill right now. I'll try to describe how this piece translates. The tornado (swirlys) and bright colors represent the range and intensity of my emotions. I'll explain. The blue in the center is representative of when I feel sad. The outer edge (the red), represents my feeling the need to take immediate action to help my mom.

The other swirly colors in between the red and blue (orange, yellow, green) represent the rest of my emotions...almost like going through Elizabeth Kubler-Ross' Stages of Grief, which can be applied to many different situations. In Kubler-Ross' model, one can move from the first stage to the second or beyond, and then take a plunge back to the first stage. One day I am angry at the illness, the next day I am sad, and so forth. It's like a cycle (tornado) for me right now.

So you might be wondering what the witch is all about. The witch is the sickness itself and I want it to go away! As far as the house, it represents my family and how our lives have been effected by the illness.

Need all the prayers you can offer!

Update! -- As of December, my mom is doing much better!

~ Lori

P.S. Thank you for all of your nice comments.

6 comments:

  1. I love the colorful and fun image. I am thinking that a children's book is in your future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the swirling movement! so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even without the story, this is magnificent. I could tell right away that it's a reference to the Wizard of Oz. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope that working on this piece helped you. I made a rage quilt recently to work though feelings I was having about my life. I have a new respect for art helping us emotionally. Thank you for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete